Gemma's Books on Amazon

Gemma's Books on Amazon
Gemma's Books on Amazon

No to Bottled Water!

For 30 years I have been drinking tap water in the Philippines. I am OK. We are OK. It was in 2007 when I first came here in the US… in New Orleans, Louisiana, 2 years after Hurricane Katrina. Do you think I continued to drink tap water? No. Of course not… I embraced my relationship with bottled water since then. We moved in New Mexico in 2010, the more I hugged my water bottle tight.

… and then this topic. Bottled Water.


I believe it was enculturation for me. It can also be mostly fear. I can also list a lot more excuses but the statistics is loud and clear. We can either face the environmental issues now, or pay later. No doubt about that.

NO to bottled water! Drink tap! or find alternatives! … but just like smoking, it can fall into deaf ears.




Many will continue to buy bottled water, because it continues to be manufactured. Many will continue to buy bottled water because it is more convenient, safe, and handy. Many will continue not to drink tap water because they have money to spend. Many will continue to not drink tap water because…. just because.

For the meantime, here are the alternatives on how I can purify my tap water:

     1) Activated Carbon Filter – carbon materials such as coal, charcoal and wood helps remove water taste and odor, and can do an excellent job in removing lead and organic compounds. They have listed Brita, Clear20 Water Filtration Pitcher, Pur as among the best water filter pitchers. They are mostly cheap, except for the frequent replacement of filter cartridges.

One can also choose faucet-mount water filters or under-sink filters which mostly use the reverse-osmosis system.

2) Reverse-Osmosis  - devices use a membrane with tiny pores to screen out inorganic chemicals and dissolved solids. Prices and options on models vary and maintenance is required for about twice a year, which adds up to annual cost. The best budget option is Whirlpool Reverse Osmosis Filtration System or the 3M Filtrete Under-Sink Advanced Water Filtration System.

3) Distillers – the use of ion exchange devices such as iron removal, softening and chlorination systems reduces most chemicals except organic chemicals. These are less expensive than purchasing the second option. 

4) Filters – traps particles like sand and rust but not dissolved solids in the water. Mostly inexpensive but requires regular maintenance as well.

… as in all stories, it just takes one.. and then, like ripple of hope, we will have America wake up before it’s too late!

Yes to clean, safe and free water not bottled.



My Dailies Collection