Gemma's Books on Amazon

Gemma's Books on Amazon
Gemma's Books on Amazon

On Cars and Driving!


Prior to the opportunity of being interviewed by an employer here in the US... I have been dreaming often of driving.. and the fear that comes with it!

I have never driven anything in my life, except bicycles and bump cars when I was young.. I was never car-literate too! No idea about the styles, brands of car, what's in and new, much more auto parts!

My father would often tell me he would teach me how to drive once I get to have my car already.. well, given that.. I knew it means not in the near future hehe..

BUT since we were told that we will be needing an international license here, he taught me how to drive(manual)! and the first time.. yes, you guessed it right! - I broke his car! in just 15 minutes of being in his car it broke! hehe

Thanks to the patience of my brother Dondon he was the one who continued teaching me so after like 6 hours all in all for like 5 days I get to run the car around the subdivision on my own for 30 minutes hehe.. :)

With that gained confidence, I persisted my father to allow me to drive in the highway but he wouldn't as we would leave the country soon.. 

Now.. Unlike in the Philippines when we can simply "pay" and viola! -driver's license! here, NO NO NO.. Louisiana law requires us to pass an eye test, written exam and road test.. 

Thanks this time to the Filipino Community of New Orleans: Art, Tita Lina, Tina, Father Roel, Father Nilo and Father Kiko for generously teaching and allowing us to use their automatic cars for us to learn how to drive, park and back up! (Now, I have forgotten how to drive manually! hehe)

Results:
I get to pass my written exam...

The roadtest.. what do you think? hehe

The DMV official tested me in the highway where I need to signal every now and then because I need to change lanes!(but of course right? hehe) The story behind was: It is my first time ever do that!! 

(guess our tutors were afraid as well - so we remained in residential areas! more so because we have not gotten our student permit! :)

I was sweating but after a while got the hang of it.. as if I know what I was doing hehehe... at 40mph I would let go of the gas so it would move down to 30mph to 25 mph! and I was in the highway!! 

I was using the center lane when I was asked to turn left - dangerous move! but i did park, back up and stop when I am supposed too well.. Good practice eh? hehehehe

I still felt fulfilled after that.. because I was able to do what I did safely.. They gave me a driver's license with restrictions -I can only drive with a licensed driver with me..:)

Practice makes perfect, builds confidence too right?.. So, in like after 5 trials and errors and failed tests, I got my license in my 6th try!

Whoa! Ride with me? LOL!

 -day 163

My Dailies Collection